Thursday, November 26, 2009

Short Practicum Stories

Story #1:

Story number one begins with food. On our first day at Prince of Wales, the admins for the school went to great effort to organize an orientation for all of the student teachers. This included a catered breakfast and lunch during which time, we all got to meet our sponsor teachers. This sort of a welcoming atmosphere was awesome considering that many of us were completely nervous, and we had no clear idea of what to expect.

Story #2:

After the orientation day, we (the student teachers) were encouraged to go around and start observing classes. The first one I watched was a Math 9 class which was being taught by one of my sponsors. She had a tablet laptop with a customized worksheet uploaded, and she was modifying it in real time as the students took notes on their own personal copies. I thought this was just about the coolest thing possible, short of having my own smart board. The next week, I actually taught the same class using a set of notes that I had prepared. Although I was nervous for the first few minutes, I successfully hid my fear, and It went pretty well overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment